Tuesday, January 10, 2023

W Magazine interview and screentest video


Interview by Lynn Hirschberg
Photographs by Jamie Hawkesworth
Styled by Sara Moonves
01.09.23

In the interview, Eddie talks about playing one of America's
most notorious serial killers. His performance earned him
a Golden Globe nomination for Best Supporting Actor.
He discusses his role and his attempts at being a cool dad.


"I know the world is obsessed with true crime, but I have a slightly moral opinion
of fetishizing killers. Our film is not just about this monster—it’s about the hero
who stopped him. And she stopped him by using compassion and empathy rather
than through violence. That felt like an important message."

"Jessica and I went to nursing school for two weeks, which I found hilarious.
The older you get the more you romanticize education. You go, ‘Well, maybe
I want to go back to university. Maybe that would be a wonderful thing to do.’
And then you do go back, as we did, and quite promptly, you turn into the
15-year-old version of yourself. I was leaning back in the classroom. I couldn't
really concentrate. It was all science, and none of that made any sense to me.
When I was practicing with needles, I succeeded in injecting my finger.
It was a disaster."



In the new W Magazine Screentest video Eddie talks about "sort of" being a wizard
for his children, tells stories about how he crushed a wedding, his first love scene
in Savage Grace, his first redcarpet premiere, being a Capricorn and casting.


"They've seen a bit of the trailer. They both asked, “Daddy, are you a wizard?” 
Which is tricky because one of the perks of the job is that you get to do these
cool things and be an interesting dad. You want to say yes, but you also don't
want to lie to your children, so in the moment, I said, "Sort of.”..."


"It was in a film called Savage Grace. It was based on a true story. The character
I played was gay, and his mum, played by Julianne Moore, tried to sleep with him.
There ended up being a ménage à trois with another man, played by Hugh Dancy.
It was definitely one of the more surreal experiences of my life. And it turns from
incest to violence. My early work! [Laughs] Before I found tweeds and period dramas."


Check out my Tumblr blog for more


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment can be published after moderation