Thursday, November 21, 2019

Reddit AMA Q&A for fans on 20th November 2019

Proof via @theaeronautsmov

Fantastic Beasts, and more. AMA!
My new film The Aeronauts, where my character ascends to 37,000 feet for science,
is in theaters and on Prime Video next month (trailer here ). Let’s do this!

Eddie answered a lot of questions:

ForeverMozart: How's acting alongside with Sacha Baron Cohen, Jeremy Strong, and Mark Rylance on Trial of the Chicago 7 going?
  • They are quite an astonishing troupe. Mark gave me my first job, I've worked with Sacha before on Les Mis and Jeremy has been a pal for an age. So it's been a pretty brilliant experience thus far. We are half way through (today is a day off) but loving it so far.

Togapr33: Eddie -- I have (and many others) been searching for the blue overcoat you wore in the Fantastic Beasts movie FOREVER now. I read somewhere that it was specially made by the costume designers....and was wondering if you could put in a word for us so we can rock it. Thoughts on starting your own clothing line for us muggles?
  • I will pass on your compliments to Colleen Atwood, our costume designer. She is pretty extraordinary. She will sew in little patches and character elements to our costumes that the audience will never see just to help us get in character. I think a Scamander/Muggle line in tweed and waistcoats is what the world has always needed. Watch this space...

Agent_Kozak: How was working with Felicity Jones?
  • Amazing, she is awesome. And my god did she go through the ringer on this movie.

Sten12: How do you choose a role?
  • Instinct. Normally when I am reading a script, there is a moment when I feel a little bit sick. It's the moment where you stop imagining the thing in your mind and start picturing yourself doing it. When I get that feeling (ie nausea) I know I should probably do it

r_antrobus: Hello Eddie, thanks for doing this AMA. A few quick questions: 
Do you like chocolate milk? Do you still have a crush on Nala from The Lion King?
P.S: You were the best part of Jupiter Ascending. Thanks in advance!
  • I do like chocolate milk. Nesquik specifically. You'll be sad to hear my crush on Nala is waning. Thank you for your P.S. You're bold for going out on a limb.

EdS909: Was Jupiter ascending as fun to film as it looks?
  • Every part of making that film was batshit crazy. And yes it was a riot.
  • Have you seen this video compilation of all of your screams in the movie?
  • Oh yes

not-so-radical: How do you have your tea?
  • Milk and one sugar. (Prefer coffee)
  • eloisewraysford: All the jitters from caffeine is bad for your heart though.
  • Truedat
  • r_antrobus: You know this is a good AMA when the interviewee is replying to the comments to his answers.
  • bloodflart: so rare

tricky_tree: Hi Eddie! What has been your most fulfilling aspect of your career?
  • I loved acting in school as a kid. I would will class to end to go to rehearsals. I still can't believe that I get to do it as a paid gig. Frequently pinching myself.

Chtorrr: What is the very best cheese?
  • Ossau iraty. Followed closely by deep fried mozzarella.

0xxkiraxx0: so where do you live in UK or in USA
  • Home is the UK. Currently residing in New York.

zacweso: Hi Eddie! Thank you for participating in this AMA. Have you ever read a book and thought "Wow I would love to play that character", if so what book and character?

Of_Silent_EarthWhat director do you most want to work with that you haven't had the chance to yet?
  • Probably Paul Thomas Anderson. Or David Fincher. I hear that Fincher does thousands of takes, which is right up my street.

Fires_Of_Fury: Hello Eddie! I love your performance as Newt Scamander, you bring a really unique and nuanced character to life, complete with imperfections, quirks and modesty which is so different from a typical male protagonist. You’ve worked in a variety of genres, biopic, science fiction, fantasy, musical. Is there a particular favourite that you enjoy working in?
  • Thanks for being kind. That was always what appealed to me about Newt - that he wasn't typical. I adore his uniqueness and hope we get to explore it more in the third. Honestly what I love most is the variety of it all. It keeps life hugely entertaining. The Beast films are so much fun because of the scope of imagination and the weird things you get to learn (see Mating Dance).
  • newttargaeryon: That erumpent mating dance was adorable and it was so funny to watch it for the first time. Hope we see more of that stuff in the future films.

Of_Silent_Earth: Would you rather fight one Hagrid sized Niffler or 100 Niffler sized Hagrids?
  • The latter. The former gives me nightmares.

user/vkashen: As a fellow ginger I just wanted to say thank you for making us look good, you are a brilliant actor. :)
  • Thank you so much. Question: am I actually ginger? Only because it's a massive debate in my family. I'm color blind so I think I'm ginger, but my mom doesn't agree.

Sad_Place: Did u have to imagine the beasts in fantastic beasts as you were filming, and if so, is that hard to do, i know id be quite bad at it, but i’m not a world class actor like you... anyways. ur a beast bro keep it up
  • Thanks for saying I'm a world class actor. That's made me feel really good. As for the beast stuff, I'm pretty shit at it. But they have lots of talented puppeteers and vis effects people to make me look better. Basically anyone can be a 'world class actor' with enough help.

toejam-football: How does an actor like yourself prepare for a period piece like The Aeronauts? What kind of research went into your character, and the film in general?
  • The story in the film is made out of a collection of true stories about these astonishing pioneers. I did lots of research blah blah blah and then tried to throw it all away and just react to all of the brilliant stuff Felicity was doing... oh and tried desperately not to die.

_suvigya_: What is something that you'll never do for a role...???🤔
  • Eat anchovies

TK-42juan: Hey Eddie, would you ever consider being in a star wars movie/show as either a major or minor role?
  • Tried. Failed.

_suvigya_: What do you do one day before shooting for the 1st day on a new movie...???🤔
  • Normally I go to bed early. At about 2 in the morning, I stress that I can't sleep. At about 2:30, I listen to a podcast to take my mind off the fact that I can't sleep, to try and sleep. At 3:30 in the morning, I look up sleeping meditation on YouTube. At 4:30 in the morning, I slam down my computer in rage. At 5:30 in the morning, I get in a car and hope there is a crying scene first, because if there is, I'll be really good at it.

shaunika: Do you create life or do you destroy it?
  • Create it. Obvs

milly_travis: Are your family + friends supportive of you and all of your amazing movies?
  • Generally they are super supportive. Although my mum found Savage Grace quite hard to watch (given its about maternal incest and all)   
  • What was the best + hardest scene to film in the Aeronauts?
  • There is no question that the hardest scene to film in The Aeronauts was when Felicity has to scale to the top of the balloon. Fortunately at this point, I'm passed out so it wasn't too stressful for me. But we shot a lot of the film in a real balloon and had a pretty hideous near fatal landing so retrospectively that was probably the hardest.
  • Has James Glashier inspired you in anyway?
  • What I love about Glaisher is that he was told no but he refused to listen.
  • Was it good to be reunited with Felicity Jones?
  • I adore Felicity. There are very few people who I'd want to be stuck in a tiny basket with for three months. She is extraordinary.

Tchaikovsksjhefwsky: What draws you to period films? (No complaints here, though)
  • My face. Apparently

MrBlue94: Have you seen parasite?
  • Yes. Breathtaking. Saw it with Jeremy Strong and Alex Sharpe whilst on a break from filming in Chicago and we were all blown away.

A_Deku_Stick: Has anyone told you that you kind of look like Joe Root, with a way better chin?
  • Everyone in my family is really good at cricket except for me. Maybe Joe and I should 23 and Me. And I think he has a really strong chin. I'm a bit chinless.

Tchaikovsksjhefwsky: Hi Eddie! If you had to play a character apart from Marius in Les Mis, who'd you pick?
  • Always wanted to be Gavroche.... cute kid, daredevil, gets loads of laughs, has tragic ending. boom.

  • I've said it before, and I'll say it again: a La Reine Romana with extra pepperoni from Pizza Express with salad dressing on the side.

Tchaikovsksjhefwsky: What do you think of Reddit, Eddie?
  • I'm new to it, but kind of loving it so far.
bloodflart: what all did you eat yesterday?

  • breakfast... toast with marmite (i shipped some over to NYC) - lunch omlette with cheese and ham - dinner bolognese - now hungry

JediNotePad: Hi Eddie, huge fan! I got a couple of questions, and hopefully you can get to them. What drew you to a project like The Aeronauts? 
  • When I read the script, there were bits in it that I just wanted to see on a massive screen. When Felicity is on the top of the world, it blows my mind and I wanted to be a part of that. 
  • Which Harry Potter character would you like to see appear in Fantastic Beasts 3?
  •  Hagrid Hagrid always Hagrid

 PCDarkrai: Hi, Eddie! Love your work! I'm a director myself, so I was wondering - as an actor, what do you look for in a director and in direction? What is the best (and maybe the worst) piece of direction you've ever been given?
  • For me short sharp and usable direction is always best in the midst of shooting a scene... something you can actually play. Some directors want to tell you what the scene's about which is useful (to get inside their head) before you start shooting but once you are in it you need something tangible. An example for me would be something like...'Punish him with this line'... or 'Invigorate them through that monologue.' Hope that makes sense.... Or 'play it like an accountant...'
EDIT: Thanks everyone for all of your great questions. It's been a treat. See you anon.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment can be published after moderation