Sunday, February 23, 2020

No One is Exempt: Exploring JUPITER ASCENDING Five Years Later.

In his appreciative review, Jim Penola explains why he loves this movie despite its faults, analyzes
the film's values, defeats and messages. Detailed intellectual work. You can read the full essay here.


When I came out of my local cinema after the first screening of Jupiter Ascending in 2015
I felt proud that I'm Eddie's fan. I think his performance is fantastic. I can't describe it as
well as Jim Penola did in his 4000-word essay about the movie:

"The way he evaporates into and ignites the eldest Abrasax is a Day-Lewis-level feat.
Granted, it’s easy to write him off for his outrageous, Nic Cage-adjacent moments, but
those are mere punctuations that highlight the quiet, thinly-assembled psychosis of
an Oedipal heir. His explosions can overwhelm to the point that it’s easy to forget his
default setting, which is a creaking, reptilian whisper that seems to be our one clue that
(while his body is mere decades old) his soul has been aged and poisoned by millenia."




Eddie said in an interview: "I’m a total Marmite actor.
You either love what I do or hate it."

Related posts:

Check the label or use a search box for more

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment can be published after moderation