Friday, August 14, 2020

Love wins over frustration - Jack and Aliena in The Pillars of the Earth (Ep. 8)

 

Aliena: God forbid anything should happen to your precious cathedral.

Jack: What did you say?

Aliena: I said, cathedral first, family second.

Jack: That’s not true. It’s my work.

Aliena: It’s your life, Jack. Not me, not Tommy.

Jack: You have your work Aliena.

Aliena: Which means nothing to you compared to your calling from God.
Prior Philip gives you pittance for all the hours you spend building his
church, Jack. His, not yours. You’re so tired when you come home, you
have little energy for anything else but sleep. I'm treated like a neglected
mistress, and I’m not even your wife. And you think an afternoon of kite
flying and picnic is it be enough to make everything fine?

Jack: You’re not my wife, because you chose to marry Alfred. 

I begged you not to, but Richard needed the money, and that is all
that you care about, isn’t it? Richard’s precious title.

Well, that was your naive promise Aliena, not mine. Face the facts. 
Shiring is a dream, you will never win it back,

just as you will never be a princess again. 

Only the merchant mistress of a common laborer...

Aliena: Richard’s back. He won his title.

Philip: What is it? You look like you need to confess.

Jack: I've been an ass and an idiot...

Philip: What about?


Jack: Aliena, the roof, everything that important in my life.


Philip: What you said this morning was right. You're right, you're not Tom,
You're Jack, which is something much better. Tom was a dreamer with
enough faith to give his dreams its weight, but you, you have an exceptional
gift. And you have determination instead of faith. Will you all need faith,
Jack. Makes it easier for God to help us. Not so Aliena. She believes in you
more than you do. How much faith do you have in her?


Jack: What do you mean prior?


Philip: She left an hour ago with Richard and an army of men to retake Shiring.




my gifs from the 8th episode

The Pillars of the Earth - Screenplay by John Pielmeier

based on Ken Follett’s novel.

The series available to watch with STARZ subscription on Amazon

I chose this topic to celebrate that my blog turned 7 last week. 
This was the series in which I first saw Eddie Redmayne in 2011.
I love both the book and the series.


Surely you noticed that I post less these days. I'm overwhelmed
by the multiple tasks I had to deal with lately. I have to work
just as much or even more since the lockdown. It's hard to find
time for blogging. But I'm here and I will be. I don't go anywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment can be published after moderation