Sunday, November 19, 2017

Interview in Harper Bazaar's Thailand - When Aqua Meets Terra

Interview in Harper Bazaar Thailand by Koko Nichakul Kitayanubhongse, who talked to Eddie at the Omega press event in Venice on 28th October 2017. The interview is in Thai, I'm trying to summarize here in English (my quick translation), what it's about. In the post I quoted a matching part from the interesting Esquire interview here.

(1)
Before he attended the diner celebrating the new Seamaster Aqua Terra in Venice, at Palazzo Pisani Moretta, brand ambassador "Eddie Redmayne," took the time to talk to Harper's BAZAAR MEN Thailand' editor, about his long experience with Omega and his special day in Venice.

HB: Tell us about your first experience with Omega.
ER: "My first Omega watch was a De Ville, which my dad had for many many years. He used to let me wear it. Then a few years ago when the Globemaster was released I became the face of that model. It had this very simple, beautiful elegance to it and I loved it."
And last year, this new version of Aqua Terra came out as a model inspired by the combination of sea and land together. I think the sailing doesn't matter at all, but I like the idea. And it's what makes me like Omega. They have a history, I was surprised by it. This is the first watch that British Air Corp has used, and there were also astronauts wearing it on the moon.

HB: When the boat arrived at Venice, we saw your picture on the billboard. ER: Yes, I'm sorry. 
HB: ...It's a surprise to see. Tell us about this video. ER: I got a call from Omega, that we are going to shoot an Aqua Terra ad on a boat in Ibiza. And my wife said, "I want your job" Very enjoyable. We had a luxury cruise around Ibiza, where it was late summer. Before that, I worked hard. I told my wife that it was like having a rest day. It was a summer vacation gathering in a single day. First I had a face lift, but not much. How much sunscreen. I also have a lot. But it is a very special day, 15 minutes before the end of the day. Low light That's pretty much it. When I finished filming, I drank the vodka on the boat. I drink it after work hard all day.

(2)
Q: You have won the Oscars since young. Then you have other goals. I want to conquer the future again. ER: It may sound boring. The reason I'm an actor is because I love this profession since childhood. At school, I like to play the stage. I was very happy with the world. And I didn't know anything about the movie. The strange thing is that in my life I never dreamed of winning Oscars. The wonderful thing is to get to work. The movie continues. It's like a dream. I never thought it was the first goal. I didn't set anything like this. My goal is just to play  interesting and complex characters...

Q: You divide your life at home with your life to travel frequently. How do you work? How important is it for you? ER: Part of my goal is to try to make it work. This is a very strange thing. I'm the one who needs the system. When you work on a movie or a drama, it's a job you have to take responsibility for. Another is if you are lucky enough to do what you love. You would want to do what you can for the show. I wanted to do this job for many years. When filming The Danish Girl, I was promoting The Theory of Everything. When I filmed Fantastic Beast, we promoted The Danish Girl last year, so I stopped for almost a year. Which fit the range of my birth. It's a great year, and it's time to start again. But now the timetable is back tight again. One day in Venice is like a summer holiday for me.

Q: Are there any books, actors or movies you like? ER: Well, there are so many that I think are interesting. There's Rebecca Solnit's book, A Field Guide to Getting Lost, a very good book. I think it's amazing. As an actor My favorite actor is Ben Whishaw. I always go to see him in the movies, or TV series, and stage productions he's in.


Q: Today you have 24 hours in Venice if you wouldn't come to this interview, what would you do,  What is your dream of a day in Venice like? ER: At university I studied history of art. There is a teacher named Deborah Howard, an expert in Venetian architecture, who wrote a book called The Architectural History of Venice. Here is a lot. Unfortunately, I was a sawdust. Come back to Venice again. It has a feeling of excitement. And why do not you remember something? The one I like to see is the Peggy Guggenheim Museum because I like it. And I like the history of the building. If cruising through the Grand Canal feels like Hollywood in the 1930s, I still think it was built in the 18th century. If I did not interview you, I would go to the Doges Palace.

Q: What do you miss most at home? ER: My piano When I was shooting Les Miserables I bought a Yamaha Black piano. I was so excited... After five months it was available. When it was arrived, five men tried to lift the piano up the stairs to my apartment. They couldn't do that. But it was transported through the window eventually. I thought I would not move out of this flat if I did not know how to move the piano (laughs). When you're playing the piano or drawing ... there is something in life that you really need to focus on. You don't have to think about anything else. I think about that time.

Q: Do you use a stylist? ER: Normally not. But when filming the Omega campaign, I worked with a guy named Dan May when filming. You have to work with a stylist. If I go to an event, I will not use a stylist. Where to go to be yourself? Or else you will feel like wearing a different garment. The good thing is that there are good brands. That time we went to buy. We asked him to try it. He has a mechanic that adjusts the size. I usually do not use stylists.

Q: What are you going to pack when you travel? ER: Most of the scripts. Take on the plane. Now on the plane will have the Internet. I like it when I'm on a plane, but it's a shame. We were forced to read. But this is how hard it is now. Most of them are uploaded onto the computer system so nobody can read it. But I like paper scripts so I can use pencil to write notes.

Q: How do you watch Omega watches from other brands? ER: I started to know Omega because my dad had a beautiful and elegant De Ville model. My father put on many years. I know what a good watch should be. When I grow up and get to know the clock more. I like the story of Omega very much. I am fortunate to know in history who has done something like British Flying Corp, NASA and the Olympics. I think it's amazing. Both classic and elegant design. "I'm passionate about history and I love Omega’s rich legacy" Eddie said. Before we set out to meet again in the dinner, OMEGA's Aqua Terra collection was launched at Palazzo Pisani Moretta this evening. (x)

The photos are from @bazaarthailand IG account (1) and from Editorial director
@kokonichakul who interviewed Eddie at the press event in Hotel Danieli (2)
On the last photo Koko Nichakul Kitayanubhongse with Eddie Redmayne before 
dinner at the Palazzo Pisani Moretta (x) (3), you find HQ photos in the article here

My earlier posts about Eddie's Venice trip:
Omega Dinner in Venice 28th October 2017
Eddie and Hannah at the Seamaster dinner in Venice...
More photos - Hotel Danieli Omega event...
Just two ordinary tourists in Venice - sightseeing...
Another beautiful video from the Venice Seamaster Dinner...

P.S.:  I don't speak Thai, I used translator, then I tried to put the text
in context with the help of what I read about Eddie earlier. 

2 comments:

  1. I asked a Thai fan on facebook to check my translation, and she wrote, that it's O.K.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes I stay up until 2AM making edits, or spend half of my Saturday translating an interview from Thai to English. I shouldn't have to do this, because I'm already exhausted due to the lack of sleep, but I'm so happy if I can give something to my friends. This feels so good (it's better, than getting a present), it makes me feel, that my involvment in the fandom matters.

    ReplyDelete

Your comment can be published after moderation